DBX 160A Compressor / LimiterDBX160AD
The dbx® 160A is a legendary dbx® 160 family of compressor/limiters. The same classic sound, easy set-up and no compromise metering is now married to an improved signal path and stronger chassis design. The result is industry standard compressor/limiter which is digital-ready and road tough.
Featuring switch-selectable OverEasy® and Hard Knee compression curves along with extremely wide-ranging threshold, ratio and output controls, the dbx 160A is up to any task. True RMS level detection provides the most natural-sounding dynamics processing available, from subtle compression to "brick wall" peak limiting.
Choose low ratios and OverEasy® compression to transparently smooth out fluctuating vocal and instrumental levels. Or use the 160A's Hard Knee compression and high ratios (up to and beyond :1 and over 60dB gain reduction) for bombproof protection against overload distortion in digital recording, P.A. systems and broadcast signals.
The 160A is fully compatible with +4/-10dB and balanced/ unbalanced systems, and its electronically balanced output stage is an outstanding line driver for long cable runs (an output transformer is optional). The 19-segment, switchable input/ output LED metering can be easily calibrated to any operating level. 12-segment gain reduction LEDs provide precise analysis at a glance.
The dbx® 160A's unique "INFINITY +" inverse-compression mode actually decreases the audio output level below unity gain when the input exceeds threshold, a real lifesaver for correcting overbearing vocal choruses and controlling runaway house mix levels. A detector input can be used with an equaliser for de-essing sibilant vocals and selectively smoothing out boomy notes on acoustic guitar and bass. And two 160As can be stereo-coupled to process an entire mix or instruments mic'd in stereo, without shifting the left/right image.
Its musical sound, easy operation and unequalled versatility made the original dbx® 160 a world standard. The 160A follows that tradition, while meeting the challenges of a digital world in the mix, or overall characteristics of 4 independent signals or control the gain levelling on a couple of stereo pairs, the dbx 160A is for you.
- OverEasy® or classic hard knee compression with dbx's® ultra-musical program dependent attack and release times
- Compression ratio variable from 1:1 through infinity :1 to negative compression
- Precision dual RMS LED display monitors input or output and gain reduction over a wide range and calibrates for different operating levels
- Over 60dB of gain reduction available
- Exclusive Infinity+ compression allows negative compression
- Independent balanced and unbalanced outputs can drive 600 loads to +24dBm simultaneously. New floating balanced output stage drives any load
- Optional output transformer capable
- Strappable with another 160A for true RMS stereo summing operation
- Connector: 1/4" TRS and XLR, Floating Balanced; XLR: Pin 2 hot Phone: Tip Hot
- Impedance: 40k
- Maximum Level: +24dBu, Balanced or Unabalanced (Absolute)
- CMRR: >45dB (any Frequency)
- Detector Input: Connector: 14" TRS phone, Floating Balanced
- Impedance: >200k
- Maximum Level: +28dBu, Balanced or Unbalanced
- Output Connector: XLR, floating balanced; pin 2 hot
- Impedance: 30
- Maximum Level: (Balanced): +24dBm; <0.3% THD
- Maximum Level: (Unbalanced): +20dBm; <0.3% THD
- Noise: <-90dBu, Unweighted (20Hz - 20kHz)
- Frequency Response: 20Hz -20kHz, +0, -0.5dB; +0, -3dB 0.5Hz and 90kHz.
- THD: <0.2%, Typical, any amount of compression up to 40dB @ 1kHz
- Connector: 1/4" TRS phone, Unbalanced
- Impedance: 20 ohm +24dBm
- Threshold Range: -40dBu to +20dBu
- Threshold Characteristic: OverEasy® or hard knee
- Compression Ratio: Variable 1:1 to :1 thru to -1:1; >60dB maximum compression
- Attack Time: Program dependent; typically 15ms for 10dB, 5ms for 20dB, 3ms for 30dB
- Release Time: Program Dependent; Typically 8ms for 1dB, 80ms for 10dB, 400ms for 50dB; 125dB/sec rate
- Dynamic Range: >113dB
- Gain Adjustment Range: Variable from -20dB to +20dB
- Stereo Coupling: True RMS Power summing
- Summing: 1/4" TRS phone jack
- Power Cord: IEC-type connector
- Operating Voltage: DO: 90-130VAC, 50/60Hz; EU: 200-250VAC, 50/60Hz
- Dimensions: 1.75" x 19" x 6.5" (4.45cm x 48.2cm x 16.51cm)
- Weight: Net/Shipping: 4.452 lbs/6.62 lbs (1.99 kg/2.99 kg)